Here’s my thing with vegan cheese sauces. If I am looking for that real mac and cheese flavor that brings me back to when I was a kid (or college) the vegan version just doesn’t quite get me there.
Now don’t get me wrong, I am all about cutting down on as much dairy as possible in my diet. However, when it comes to the few random times I eat Mac & Cheese, I want that cheddar.
I’ve made this recipe a few times a few different ways. My idea for this Almost Vegan Mac & Cheese is that it follows a vegan cheese sauce recipe, with the addition of some (not very much!) real cheddar to give it the authentic flavor. This sauce is still WAY healthier, as it has no butter, cream, or cream cheese thrown in there. It also doesn’t involve soaking cashews!
Also feel free to customize! Add less cheddar and more nutritional yeast or visa versa until you hit that exact flavor you are looking for. 🙂
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups of almond milk
- 1/3 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- kale, chopped
- Red pepper flakes
- Pasta of choice (I use Banza)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the two tablespoons of olive oil to a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the two tablespoons of flour and whisk continuously for 1-2 minutes until combined.
- Slowly pour in the almond milk, whisking to combine.
- Add in the cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes until the sauce thickens (continue to stir frequently).
- In a separate pan add a little olive oil, kale, salt and pepper and sauté until tender.
- Remove from heat and add the chili nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- Pour over pasta and top with red pepper flakes.
- You can make this completely vegan by using 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast and no cheddar cheese.
You Might Need These