You know how they say one of the benefits of chia seeds is that they fill you up and curb your hunger because of the way they expand in your stomach? When I first heard this I got excited and sprinkled them on the top of my smoothie in the morning. Two hours later I was starving. LIES!
Apparently you need more than a sprinkle. Chia seeds are loaded with protein and fiber, and it’s true that they absorb a lot of water and expand in your stomach. However, I don’t know if I buy that a couple dashes will keep me full for hours. What does fill me up is chia pudding! Especially when made into a parfait with fruit, or nut butter, or granola, or all three. This blended chia pudding idea came from our friend Molly (@wiz_kaleifa) who I think got it from Rachel Mansfield (@rachlmansfield) who most likely came up with it herself. 🙂
I’m an immediate satisfaction kind of girl, so waiting 5 hours for chia pudding to congeal in the fridge doesn’t always work for me. So I love being able to blend and eat this right away! You can also chill it in the fridge for a few hours if you were born with that kind of patience.
Now this parfait technically serves one, but it’s a shit ton of chia seeds. So if you’re sensitive to that much fiber, I’d suggest turning it into two servings and filling the rest of the mason jar with other healthy things. 🙂
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of honey
- 1/2 banana
- 1/3 cup of blueberries
- Blend the almond milk, chia seeds, vanilla and honey on high until a pudding forms.
- You can place in the fridge to chill, or eat immediately.
- Layer the parfait alternating chia pudding, banana and blueberries.
- Top with chia seeds, flax meal, hemp seeds, or toasted buckwheat groats for extra nutrients!