So Catch is still one of my favorite restaurants in the city. New Yorkers you might be rolling your eyes, but I love their sushi, I love a good scene, I love their jalapeño-infused tequila cocktail, and I die for their Crunchy Rice Cakes. Lou gets in a fight with the hostess every time he calls and she says they only have 6:30pm or 10:30pm available that night, as well as in six Saturdays from then. It’s really entertaining to watch.
My rant has a point. Crispy rice. It’s not good for you, but I came up with a way to incorporate it into a healthy dish so you still get to enjoy the flavor and the texture without (as many of) the calories.
I’ve been into these brunchy egg and rice bowls lately. It’s hearty with protein and healthy fats for a breakfast (or lunch) that is guaranteed to satisfy. So I suggest making this dish at home, and then Postmates the Crunchy Rice Cakes. 😉
- 1 cup of uncooked brown rice
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1-3 eggs
- Soy sauce
- Avocado, sliced
- Cook the rice according to package directions (quick cook or stove top).
- After rice is finished cooking, pour into a bowl and allow to fully* cool.
- When the rice has fully cooled, drizzle just enough good olive oil to coat the bottom of a pan and place it over medium heat until hot.
- Add one cup of the cooked rice to the hot oil and spread into a single layer.
- Allow to sizzle for 1-2 minutes without stirring. Press down with a spatula if needed.
- When rice is crispy, use a spatula to remove from the pan and set onto a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Add the crispy brown rice back into the bowl of remaining brown rice (*you may also repeat this process to crisp more brown rice if desired).
- Add a few dashes of soy sauce to taste. Mix through.
- In the same sauté pan, add a bit more oil if there is not enough left.
- Add 1-3 eggs (depending on how many servings you are making) and allow to fry until the eggs whites are solid and the yolk will not run when moved.
- Add the crispy brown rice to a bowl, then top with one egg each and sliced avocado.
- Garnish with sea salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes if desired.