Often times when people go gluten free, or vegan, or are on a cleanse, or just want to be healthier… sandwiches are the first thing to go. Even for myself, what used to be a lunch staple is now a rare occurrence. But like most things, instead of cutting them out of my diet, I just find a way to replace them with something that makes me feel better. 🙂
Today’s Kale and Sweet Potato Sandwich is vegan and gluten free, but still full of flavor. We replaced mayo with red pepper hummus to keep the creaminess it needs, and swapped out deli meat and cheese for roasted sweet potato. Pick any greens you want (I’ve just been into kale lately), and if you decide to put some avocado on there I wouldn’t hate that idea. 😉
- 1/2 sweet potato, sliced into rounds
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 sandwich roll (ours is gluten free)
- Hummus (ours is red pepper)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly toss the sweet potato rounds in olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
- Spread each half of the sandwich roll with a generous amount of hummus.
- Layer the sweet potato rounds and kale on top.
Shop the Post