There is nothing better than a super healthy dessert that doesn’t taste healthy. This Paleo Apple Crisp is one of them!
I originally made this a few years ago when I was doing the Clean Program’s 21 Day Cleanse. I couldn’t have butter or refined sugar, but wanted something sweet that wasn’t just fruit. So I used coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, and almond flour to make the gooey apples and crumbly crust and it came out amazing!!
Just made it again and it’s just as delicious as I remembered. And so easy to make which is my second rule after it needing to taste awesome. 🙂
Hope you guys enjoy!
- FOR THE APPLES
- 3-4 apples (depending on the size) peeled and sliced very thin.
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup of almond flour/meal
- 1/4 cup of organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 to a 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of coconut flakes
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- peel and slice apples and place in a medium bowl.
- add the lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and toss until apple slices are evenly coated.
- arrange apple slices in a baking dish or pie dish.
- combine all of the ingredients for the topping (except for the shredded coconut) and mix together. add the coconut and mix through.
- pour topping over the apples and place tin foil on top to cover.
- bake for 30 minutes covered and then 10-15 minutes uncovered. apple should be fork tender.
- serve cold or warm.