I’m really not that creative when it comes to making salads. I know… the irony.
What I am really good at is ordering them. The Sweetgreen’s Harvest Bowl is my jam. But when it comes to making them, I basically throw a bunch of leaves into a bowl with whatever veggies and dressing I have on hand and call it a day.
The other day I posted on Instagram about how I truly think making pretty food helps you eat better, and I really believe that. I’ve got breakfast down to a science, as you can probably tell by my 97 overnight oat bowls on Instagram. My salads, on the other hand, are struggling.
So I decided to actually take some time to make a really amazing, healthy, detox salad. I needed a good staple, and this is it! Although there’s a lot going on in here, the most complicated part is the shrimp, which like, isn’t that complicated. You can also switch the protein to chicken, an egg, veggie burger, whatever you have on hand! And I always make sure my dressing doesn’t cancel out the healthiness of my salad. I stick to lemon juice, good olive oil and some balsamic vinegar if I’m in the mood.
My next mission is tackling a remake of the Harvest Bowl. 😉
- red cabbage, shredded
- chia seeds
- sliced apple
- sliced avocado
- pine nuts
- pre-cooked shrimp
- sea salt and pepper
- olive oil
- fresh lemon juice
- balsamic vinegar
- Season the cooked shrimp with sea salt and pepper
- If desired, add a small amount of olive oil to a pan and pan sear.
- Assemble salad as pictured, top with shrimp.
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh lemon juice, with a dash of sea salt and pepper
- Pour over the top and enjoy.
- Portion the amount of ingredients to your preference!