I love when friends and family share their recipes with me, and then allow me to share them with all of you. 🙂
This White Bean and Escarole Soup recipe comes from my brother-in-law Alex. Besides the fact that he is an overall awesome person, he’s a really good cook and can make a serious cocktail. We’ll keep him.
This soup is one of those normal dishes that you almost forget is health because it’s so good. Escarole, like most leafy greens, is high in fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. This soup is low in fat, has wonderful flavor, and is all around a great nutritious meal. So thank you Alex for your contribution to Spinach for Breakfast. Now let’s work on a healthy version of your “gorgonzola filled dates wrapped in prosciutto.” 😉
- 2 heads of escarole, washed and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 2 cans of cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- Sea salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of grated pecorino romano cheese (*optional)
- Using a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup of the chicken broth with 1 can of cannelloni beans until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, chopped escarole, dash of sea salt, pepper and the crushed red pepper to the pot and and sauté for about two minutes until the escarole wilts.
- Add in the bean/broth puree, additional can of cannelloni beans (not pureed), and the remaining 4 cups of chicken broth.
- Add in the pecorino romano cheese (*optional). [You can also add the rind of the cheese while boiling for flavor instead.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Adjust taste to preference.
Shop the Post