A few weeks ago I decided to give Blue Apron a try. I was feeling a little uninspired, and told Lou either he could cook for the week or we could try a meal delivery service. Blue Apron it was. 😉
I’m sure most of you know what Blue Apron is; but if not, how it works is you pick three meals off their website and they send you a box of farm fresh ingredients and recipe cards. You are doing all the washing, chopping and prep work, however you don’t need to worry about buying anything or wasting any ingredients, as it is all perfectly portioned out.
This Za’atar Roasted Broccoli Salad was by far my favorite of the three recipes that I made so I had to share! I photographed this dish according to the exact recipe, however made some substitutions that I listed below to make it gluten free and a little bit healthier. 🙂
- 1lb of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cage free eggs
- 2 teaspoons of za'atar spices (*buy or make your own)
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 1 clove of garlic, zested into a paste.
- 3 tablespoons of roasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 oz of pecorino cheese, broken into small pieces (*optional)
- 1/2 cup of fregola sarda pasta (*or quinoa)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bring a small pot and a large pot of water to a boil. (*if using quinoa instead of pasta, add 1 cup of water and the 1/2 cup of quinoa to medium pot, bring to boil and then cover and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes. Fluff and set aside. You don't need the large pot).
- Cut and prep all vegetables.
- When the small pot of water is boiling, carefully add the two eggs and boil for 9 minutes.
- After 9 minutes, drain and rinse the eggs for 1 minute under cold water.
- Peel both eggs and thinly slice them into rounds. Set aside.
- Add the chopped broccoli and onions to a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and season with za'atar spices, sea salt and pepper.
- Bake vegetables for 20 minutes until browned and tender.
- While the eggs and vegetables are cooking, make the dressing by adding the tahini, juice of two lemon wedges, 2 tablespoons of water, and garlic paste to a mixing bowl. Combine.
- Whisk in the 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, and a dash of sea salt and pepper. Set the dressing aside.
- When the large pot of water is boiling, add the fregola sarda pasta and boil for 15 minutes or until tender. (*skip this step if using quinoa instead)
- Drain pasta and add it back to the large pot.
- Add the roasted broccoli and onion, chopped almonds, pecorino cheese*, tahini dressing, juice of the remaining two lemons, and a drizzle of olive oil to the large pot of pasta (*or medium pot of quinoa).
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the broccoli salad onto two plates.
- Top with a sliced egg and a dash of sea salt and pepper.
- Make your own za'tar spices: combine 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, 1 tbsp. sumac, 1 tbsp. ground cumin, and 1 tbsp. sesame seeds. Then stir in 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.
- *make these substitutes for a gluten/dairy free version of this dish.
You Might Need These