Ever feel like over the summer you only exist in two extremes? Like you’re out to dinner five nights a week eating and drinking freely, or you’re starving yourself because you have to be in a bathing suit in three days? Although I’d like to think I have my whole diet pretty worked out by now, the reality is summer finds a nice way to throw a wrench in routines.
Speaking of needing to be in a bathing suit in three days, I am heading to Avalon, NJ (literally on Saturday) with my family, Lou’s whole family, and six other families who have been spending the first week of August there for the past 20+ years. And not that I’m crazy obsessed with what my body looks like, but I do have a health food blog and would prefer to look- healthy. 😉
So, instead of Kate Moss-ing it, I’ve been passing on unnecessary dinners out, saying no to wine until at least Thursday, and eating as healthy and balanced as possible. This Artichoke and Peppers Quinoa Bowl has been my go-to lunch for the past week. Depending on the day, I’ll add some grilled chicken or organic chicken sausage to the mix for extra protein.
Make sure to check our Snapchat over the week to follow Alyssa and me in Avalon!
- 1 cup of dry quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cans of quartered artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 large orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 small jar of sliced pimientos
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt & pepper
- 1 lemon, halved for juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse your quinoa in a mesh strainer.
- Add the quinoa to a small sauce pan with 2 cups of water over high heat.
- Bring to a full boil, then cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, add a drizzle of olive oil to a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for about a minute.
- Add the onions and chopped peppers, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the artichokes, sliced pimientos, sea salt & pepper, and the juice from 1/2 a lemon and mix through until heated.
- Mix through a desired amount of fresh parsley.
- When the quinoa is done cooking, remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Mix the quinoa through the artichoke and pepper mixture.
- Squeeze the remaining 1/2 lemon over the top.
- Enjoy hot or cold.
Shop the Post