Beet and Basil Pesto Toast with Arugula and Goat Cheese
A few weeks back we asked you guys what you wanted to see more of on Spinach for Breakfast, and an overwhelming number of you said more healthy snacks!
I love snacks, so I get it. 🙂 My inspo for this Beet and Basil Pesto Toast with Arugula and Goat Cheese started with a beet pesto I had made for a pasta dish (coming soon!) and continued with a “two pesto” toast that I was served at an event. I came home and was like ok, basil pesto on top of beet pesto will be happening.
This toast literally hits the spot for me. It’s sweet and savory and something I can sink my teeth into when I need to feel “satisfied.” I topped mine with goat cheese and arugula; you know, so I get those two sprigs of greens in there. 😉
More healthy snacks to come!
- BEET PESTO
- 3 peeled and ready to eat beets (you can use 1 can of organic sliced beets, drained or one package of pre-sliced beets, like Love Beets)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- juice from half a lemon
- pinch of sea salt
- BASIL PESTO
- 1/3 cup of raw walnuts
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- dash of sea salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- bread of choice
- goat cheese
- Make the beet pesto by adding the beets, garlic, walnuts, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper to a food processor and process until smooth. Taste test for more salt needed to preference. Set aside
- Clean out your food processor and make the basil pesto by adding the walnuts, basil, parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt and pepper and olive oil. Taste test for more salt needed to preference.
- Toast bread, spread with beet pesto and then top with a generous dollop of basil pesto.
- Garnish with goat cheese and arugula.
- Save both beet and basil pesto for more slices of toast or pasta!
- Make this recipe easier by using store bought basil pesto!
You Might Need These