Butternut Squash, Arugula and Hummus Toast
We asked you guys on Instagram what you would like to see more of on Spinach for Breakfast, and an overwhelming number of you said healthy snacks!
I totally get it. I’m the type of person who needs to eat every few hours. I don’t really prefer huge portions; I am more of a grazer than one to eat three big meals. But when I’m hungry, I need to eat immediately. It still baffles me that Lou can come home from work and say “he’s starving,” and then order Seamless and wait another 45 minutes to eat!? Like when I am starving I need food within the next five minutes.
So I am big on healthy snacks. I usually don’t go crazy making “recipes” for snacks. I just grab fruit, veggies/chips and hummus, apple and peanut butter, nuts, etc; and I often have homemade muffins or bars made. But every once and awhile I want to sink my teeth into something new.
This Butternut Squash, Arugula and Hummus Toast can be super easy if you pre-roast your squash ahead of time and store it in the fridge. Then when you come home from work starving, you can easily toast bread, spread some hummus and pile on the arugula and squash for something healthy and delicious to hold you over while you think of what to cook for dinner. Or eat two pieces and make it your meal. 🙂
- 1 package of pre-cut butternut squash
- olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- bread of choice
- hummus flavor of choice
- good balsamic vinegar
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- chop the pre-cut butternut squash into smaller pieces (not necessary but it will fit on the toast better)
- toss in olive oil, sea salt and pepper and bake for about 35 minutes until tender.
- when ready to assemble; toast your bread, spread hummus on top, later arugula and roasted butternut squash and then carefully drizzle with a little bit of balsamic vinegar.