I’m halfway through the Clean Program 21-Day Cleanse, and here’s the deets on how I’m doing.
- My skin is the best it’s been all winter.
- I have way more energy in the morning, and I am no longer thinking about coffee (I mean, I still think about it, but like, I don’t need it).
- I’ve lost 4lbs.
- My sugar cravings have reduced significantly (again, it’s not like I don’t want ice cream. I just don’t need it as bad).
- My appetite is shrinking to what it’s probably supposed to be.
- I’m sleeping a lot. Lou thinks I have a problem.
So all in all, it took me until about Day 8 to really start noticing these changes. The first 5-6 days were really hard for me. I was exhausted all the time, literally going to bed at like 8:30pm, but still needing to keep up with the cooking for myself and Lou. FYI, Lou only knows how to cook sauce, sausage and peppers, and chicken cutlets. All delicious. None approved.
I came across this recipe for Cilantro Lime Chicken on Rasamalaysia, and decided to throw some quinoa into the mix and call it a day. This is a great recipe for anyone looking to create a delicious, yet super healthy meal to feed a few people, or to have for yourself for leftovers. I have already made this twice in 10 days. 🙂
- 3 organic boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro stems and leaves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon of red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of water or organic chicken broth
- 1 can of organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can of chopped green chiles (*optional if not on Clean Program)
- Mix together the olive oil, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, red chili flakes, and sea salt in a medium bowl.
- Rinse the chicken breasts and place them in a large zip lock bag.
- Pour the marinade into the bag and make sure the chicken pieces are fully coated.
- Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes, but best for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pan, drizzle a light coat of olive oil over medium heat.
- Place the marinated chicken breasts in the pan and allow to pan fry for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pan and place them in a baking dish.
- Pour the extra marinade from the ziplock over the chicken. If there is not enough left, pour in a little chicken broth and lime juice to ensure there is some liquid on the bottom of the dish.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- In a small pot add the water/chicken broth and quinoa and bring to a boil.
- Cover, and allow to simmer on low for 10-15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, add a small amount of olive oil to a pan over medium heat,
- Pour in the black beans and chiles* and sauté until heated through.
- Fluff quinoa when it's finished cooking, add in the black beans mixture, and an extra squeeze of lime juice if desired.
- Serve the cilantro lime chicken with the black bean quinoa.
- Green Chiles are not pictured here and are not Clean Program approved.
Shop the Post