These peanut butter blossoms have always been my personal favorite Christmas cookie. That being said, I was hesitant to even try to make it healthier. But then what would the point of my blog be? 🙂
I have to say, I’m surprisingly shocked at how good these cookies came out! I swapped peanut butter for almond butter and refined white sugar for low-glycemic coconut palm sugar. I also snuck in some flax. They are sweet, nutty and chewy just like the original.
Oh, and the Hershey Kiss in the middle looks like a Hershey Kiss because it is one. 😉
- 1 cup of natural, creamy almond butter or peanut butter stirred well
- 1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar
- 1 egg
- a few dashes of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of flax meal
- 1/2 cup of organic white sugar *for rolling
- Hershey Kisses or chocolate of choice
- In a medium bowl combine all of the peanut butter, coconut palm sugar, 1 egg, sea salt, vanilla and flax meal.
- Place the dough in the fridge until oven is preheated.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape the dough into one inch balls and roll in white sugar.
- Place on the cookie sheet.
- Press each ball down a bit with your palm and then lightly press your thumb into the middle of each.
- Bake for 8 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned. They will be soft.
- Once you remove the cookies place a Hershey Kiss in the middle.
- After 2-3 minutes, transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool.
Shop the Post