Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies
When it comes to baking for others, I am always hesitant as to whether I want to bring one of my usual healthy recipes or making something a bit more… traditional. 😉
I don’t bake with butter often, just because there are so many other ways to bake without it. But sometimes I want a cookie that has that flaky, buttery taste that coconut oil just can’t get ya.
So when we bake with butter or hardened coconut oil we have to plan ahead so they have enough time to soften. Ask me how many times I’ve accidentally microwaved them to liquid? Many. I got this new Oster Hand Mixer with HEATSOFT technology that literally softens the butter as you mix! No putting the butter out on the counter ahead of time or needing to run the jar of coconut oil under hot water. You just toss it in with the sugar and mix!
These Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies are not only the perfect sweet and salty combo in an ultra soft cookie, but they are so quick and easy to make! Especially with the Oster Hand Mixer (no waiting to soften!) I’ll be bringing them to Lou’s family this weekend for Mother’s Day (deciding to go with a healthy-ish recipe!) that I think everyone will love!
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup of white sugar (*or 1/4 cup more of coconut sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 2 1/2 cups of almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt plus more for topping
- 1 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of chopped gluten free pretzels
- preheat the oven to 350F
- soften butter/coconut oil (*if you have the Oster mixer you do not need to soften)
- once soft, cream the butter/coconut oil, sugars and vanilla together until creamy
- add the egg and egg white and hand mix until combined
- stir in the almond flour, baking soda and sea salt until combined.
- gently mix in the chocolate chips and pretzels
- use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to drop the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- take a whole pretzel and press onto the top of each cookie, and then sprinkle with sea salt.
- bake for 10-13 minutes, until lightly browed on top.
- allow to cool before eating.