The Best Banana Bread
Get ready to preheat your ovens, because I’ve got the BEST healthy banana bread recipe!
So poor Alyssa has SIBO, and I’m over here like time to get cooking! It’s funny because I was always the one with the gut issues. From senior year of college until about a year ago it was a constant daily battle. But then I got pregnant and my symptoms literally just went away! Even seven weeks after having Luca they haven’t returned. I’m hoping that they’ll continue to stay that way, since it’s allowed me to be less restrictive with my food choices and still feel good.
This banana bread recipe actually comes from my intern Lindsay’s grandmother. We made a few tweaks (like reducing the sugar by about 1 1/2 cups and making it with either whole wheat or gluten free flour) to make it a way healthier version that still tastes AMAZING! The hardest part is having that incredible banana bread smell fill up your kitchen while you’re waiting for it to finish baking .
- 2-3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of olive, walnut, or coconut oil
- 1 applesauce 4oz cup
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 ¾ cup of flour (whole wheat or gluten free all purpose)
- ¾ cup of coconut palm sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Chopped walnuts (optional)
- Semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Mash the banana in a large mixing bowl with a fork. Add all the other wet ingredients and mix with a fork until well combined.
- Add the baking soda, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Mix to combine. It should form a thick but not dry batter. Stir in any desired toppings (walnuts, chocolate chips).
- Pour the mix into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and splits, around 1 hour.