We are starting a 30 Day Vegan Challenge! Why? Because Beyonce did it
Just Kidding 🙂 We often like to do “challenges” or “cleanses” like this for a number of reasons. First of all, mentally we don’t like to be controlled by food. We don’t like to think we will not survive if we don’t have greek yogurt or hamburgers or egg sandwiches in our lives. In turn, cutting out certain foods allows us to find new replacements and healthier options to hopefully become staples in our diet.
We are also always trying to physically better our bodies and our health. Slowly learning to cut out the bad and love the good. We started about two years ago with the Clean Cleanse, cutting out gluten, dairy, refined sugar, and processed ingredients for 21 days. Was it easy the first time? No. Was it fun? Not exactly. But without that cleanse we would have never replaced our dairy milk with almond milk, wheat bread with brown rice bread, and refined white sugar with natural sweeteners. We would also still be complaining we never felt good, and that was just getting annoying 😉
So why Vegan? We have learned to cut out and replace a lot of unhealthy/unnecessary foods over the past two years. However, we still eat meat, fish, eggs and have a small obsession with frozen yogurt. We recently read Skinny Bitch, and although people have various opinions about this book, it is really informative and freaking hysterical. It opens your eyes to not only the antibiotics and hormones in all of the meat and dairy products we consume, but also to the awful animal cruelty. It made our decision quite simple, we are going to try it for one month!
We are not and will never try to convince anyone one way or another. This is truly a learning experience on our end. What we will do is let you know how we feel, the challenges we are having or not having, and of course share some awesome vegan recipes! We believe healthy eating can be done in many forms. It’s truly a personal preference, you know your body 🙂
So we invite you guys to join us! Try it for a weekend, a week, or for a month. To any of our already vegan followers we would LOVE to hear some of your reasons for going vegan!
Here’s our kick-off recipe! Kale & Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato that I had been eating for lunch all last week. They just so happen to be vegan 🙂
- 2 large sweet potato, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 cup of red quinoa (dry)
- 1 package or 3 large handfuls of organic kale
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds
- Extra Virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Pierce each sweet potato with a fork several times, and place directly on the middle wire rack in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- While the potatoes are baking, add 1 cup of water or vegetable broth and the 1/2 cup of quinoa to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil (covered).
- Once the quinoa is boiling, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook until all of the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set to the side.
- In a large sauté pan, add a splash of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add kale, sea salt and pepper, and sauté over medium heat until the kale is tender. Halfway through cooking the kale, add the almonds to the pan and sauté with the kale. They should be lightly browned.
- Pour the quinoa into the pan with the kale and almonds and combine.
- Cut a vertical slice/oval opening into each sweet potato and squeeze open.
- Stuff the sweet potato with the kale and quinoa mixture.
- Top with an additional sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.