It’s Day 25 of our 30 Day Vegan Challenge, and we are about to spice things up with this Lentil Fra Diavolo Over Zucchini Pasta recipe. 🙂
This dish is loaded with hearty vegan protein, thanks to the addition of lentils in this spicy marinara sauce. Although this sauce can easily be poured over pasta, we figured we would keep things light and veggie-based with zucchini noodles.
Vegan or not, this is a great healthy dish to add to your recipe rotation!
- ½ cup of dry red lentils
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 28oz can of organic tomato puree
- 2½ tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parley
- Sea salt & pepper
- 4-5 zucchinis
- Rinse your lentils well in a mesh strainer, picking out any debris.
- Cook lentils according to package directions (*should take about 25-30 minutes).
- In a separate sauce pan, add two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté briefly until fragrant.
- Add the red pepper flakes and dried basil and mix through.
- Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, and a dash of sea salt and pepper and mix through.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Once the lentils are finished, drain any excess water and add the lentil to the sauce, along with the fresh parley.
- Simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Using a spiralizer create the zucchini noodle.
- Squeeze out the excess water, and then sauté them quickly in a pan to heat.
- Place the noodles onto a plate with a desired amount of sauce on top.