Loaded Caprese Grilled Cheese
Father’s Day is around the corner and whether the baby is here by then or not, I would love to get something for Lou to celebrate him. 🙂 But like what do I get him, a tie? Such a dad gift.
It’s crazy that we’ve spent our entire lives giving our own parents gifts on Mother’s/Father’s Day and now these holidays are for us too. We are essentially parents (we just haven’t met our kid yet). Wild.
So if you have any ideas for a good “dad” gift, let me know. Lou got me a massage and facial for Mother’s Day which was a combination of being super sweet and thoughtful and wanting me to go one night without asking him to rub my shoulders. 😉
What Lou does love is food. I’ve been making this Loaded Caprese Grilled Cheese all the time and he’s a huge fan. The inspo came from this tomato butter and pesto that I had from Nuts.com. It then evolved into a major sandwich with balsamic glazed mushrooms and onions and fresh mozzarella. It’s ridiculously good! Take a look at the video below to see how simple it is to make! And send me your best Father’s Day gift ideas 🙂
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 slices of bread
- 3 slices of fresh mozzarella
- additional coconut or olive oil
- tomato butter (ours is from nuts.com)
- In a medium pan drizzle olive oil over medium heat
- add the mushrooms and sauté until they begin to soften
- add the diced onion and sauté
- when the onions begin to soften, add the balsamic vinegar and cook until reduced and the onion is caramelized.
- Set balsamic caramelized onions and mushrooms aside to cool.
- drizzle oil on one side of each slice of bread. Place the oil side face down.
- Spread pesto on one slice of bread and tomato butter on on the other.
- Place three slices of mozzarella on top of the pesto slice
- Place spoonfuls of the onions and mushrooms on top of the tomato butter slice, creating an even layer.
- Place the mozzarella pesto half on top of the mushrooms and onion half to form the sandwich.
- Cook in a pan over medium high heat, and grill on each side until browned.