Pear and Lentil Salad
If there is any chance of salad making it onto my plate during Thanksgiving, it needs to be a good one. 🙂 I usually find myself skipping the usual greens for things like mashed potatoes and stuffing that I don’t normally eat. But like all meals, I feel best when what I am eating is balanced!
This Pear and Lentil Salad is not only great for the holidays (because it’s delicious and pretty!), but it’s also an awesome staple salad to add to your weekly mix. I love adding the lentils in for extra protein to really fill me up and make this salad count as a “meal.” I get them pre-steamed from Trader Joe’s, and just mixed them in! All about making my life easy, especially around the holidays 🙂
- 1 bag of arugula
- 1 bag of spinach
- 2 pears, sliced into thin slices
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup pecans, crushed
- 1/3 cup of dry lentils
- 1 1/3 cup of water
- sea salt
- shaved parmesan (*optional)
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of white balsamic
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- sea salt & pepper
- water (optional)
- Boil 1 1/3 cup of water, then add the 1/3 cup lentils. Season with a little salt, then reduce to a simmer then cook for around 20 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with the arugula and spinach.
- In a bowl or a small jar, mix the dressing ingredients. Whisk or shake until combined. If desired, add water to thin. Set aside.
- Remove the lentils from heat, then rinse with cold water to cool.
- Mix in half of the dressing in with greens. Mix in or top with the lentils, pear slices, pomegranate seeds, and crushed pecans.
- Top with additional dressing if needed, and shaved parmesan.
- You can buy pre-steamed lentils at Trader Joes!