Pear and Lentil Salad
Fall means apples and pears are in season, so you know that I’ll be incorporating them as much as possible into my meals! Personally these fruits sit well with my gut, but I know for others they can be a major trigger food.
Alyssa and I have come to learn that when it comes to gut health, and health overall, it’s important to 1) seek out professionals, and 2) trust yourself. With my past and her current gut issues, figuring out what to eat can be one of the most stressful parts. We’ve come across more different low-FODMAP lists than we can count, and we’ve found that what works for someone else might not work teh best for you. Even Alyssa and I have very different food tolerences! We’ve come to recognize that we get the best results when we listen to our guts (even if our gut is totally messed up!) and self-advocate. So much good has come to us from not being afraid to speak up, ask more questions, and get a second opinion. And, most importantly, lean on your community for support and find joy in foods that make you feel good!
While apples and pears are not low-FODMAP, this Pear and Lentil Salad sits well with my gut and brings me so much joy. I always feel my best when what I’m eating is balanced, so getting those greens in is important! This salad is perfect for a simple weeknight dinner or for a crowd. It’s also a great salad to prep ahead and eat during the week. I actually used Trader Joe’s pre-steamed lentils which made making this ridiculously easy!
- 1 bag arugula
- 1 bag spinach
- 2 pears, sliced into thin slices
- 1/4 cup pecans, crushed
- 1/3 cup of dry lentils
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup crushed pecans
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- Salt and pepper
- shaved parmesan (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and Pepper
- Boil 1 1/3 cups of water, then add the dry lentils. Season with a little salt, then reduce the heat to simmer and cook for around 20 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with the arugula and spinach.
- In a bowl or small jar, mix the dressing ingredients. Whisk or shake until well combined. If desired, add water to thin.
- Remove the lentils from the heat, then rinse with cold water to cool.
- Mix in half of the dressing with the greens. Mix in or top with the lentils, pear slices, pomegranate seeds, and crushed pecans.
- Top with additional dressing and shaved parmesan (optional).
- You can purchase pre-cooked lentils to skip step 1.