Every year since I can remember, my mom made Pillsbury cinnamon buns on Christmas morning. Then I found out I was gluten intolerant, and still ate them anyway. 😉
However, for all of the other days of the year I am either drinking a smoothie or eating a gluten free breakfast. This Pomegranate Walnut Quinoa Oatmeal is hearty, sweet, and crunchy all mixed into one healthy dish!
So enjoy this festive breakfast with your family Christmas morning! And if you’re anything like us, you’ll pair it with a cinnamon bun. 🙂
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 cup of gluten free oats (or rolled oats)
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Sea salt
- Maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- Walnuts, broken into pieces
- Pomegranate seeds
- In a small pot, bring the water to a boil.
- In a medium pan, add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the oats to the pan and toss for a few minutes until lightly toast.
- Add the hot water, quinoa, and a few dashes of sea salt to the pan.
- Mix together, and bring to a boil (should only take a second)
- Lower heat and simmer for about 25 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Mix in the almond mix.
- Serve with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup, and top with walnuts and pomegranate seeds.
- Recipe adapted from Thug Kitchen