I love justifying pasta when it’s packed with nutrients I need! Mac and Cheese from a box; difficult to justify. This Protein Packed Edamame Pesto Pasta; might as well be a salad. 🙂
For real though, I’m not afraid of pasta. I tend to stick to brown rice, quinoa or chickpea pasta because it’s much healthier. Then I always make sure there’s either some veggies thrown in there, or I am using a healthy vegetable based sauce.
If I’m looking for serious protein, I make this edamame pesto and then top my pasta dish with hemp seeds. Not only does it taste delicious, but it’s a great meat-free, dairy-free dinner option!
- 1 cup of shelled edamame (defrost if frozen)
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 cups of shredded basil leaves
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- few dashes of pepper
- chickpea pasta (or pasta of choice)
- hemp seeds
- in a medium pot, bring salted water to a boil.
- while the water is boiling, add the edamame, garlic, basil leaves, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper to a food processor and process until fairly smooth (it won't get perfectly smooth)
- cook pasta according to package directions
- drain and mix in pesto
- top with hemp seeds for additional protein