Even as a health food blogger, it’s hard to maintain a perfectly healthy diet during the holiday season. When you are spending quality time with friends and family, it’s sometimes nice to throw caution to the wind and grab a cookie or three. 😉
This time last year, I was getting married in two days! Lord knows I wasn’t eating cookies then. This year Lou and I are heading to Miami for our one year anniversary. 🙂 I’m just praying I can pull off a bathing suit and cover-up…
For these in-between Christmas and New Years days, I’m doing my best to simply eat like a normal person again. I’m not quite ready to dive into a strict cleanse (that’s coming in January… stay tuned!), but I do need to get back on track.
I decided to make this Raw Buckwheat Granola so I can stop eating chips. Buckwheat is a fruit seed that has been linked to lowering cholesterol, controlling blood sugar and fighting inflammation. It’s also a great source of fiber!
This Raw Buckwheat Granola is vegan, gluten free, super healthy and so easy to make! It requires no baking, and tastes delicious in a bowl of cold almond milk.
Hope everyone has a happy & healthy New Year!
- 1 cup of buckwheat groats (I used a mixture of raw and roasted)
- 1 cup of gluten free oats
- 1 cup of brown rice puffed cereal
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds
- 10-12 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup of vegan mini chocolate chips (*optional)
- 1/2 cup of raw peanut butter (no sugar or other additives)
- 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons of cinnamon
- dash of sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl, add the buckwheat groats, oats, brown rice cereal, chia seeds, chopped dates, and mini chocolate chips.
- Mix together.
- In a small saucepan, add the raw peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt over low heat.
- Stir until mixed together.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl and mix everything together.
- Press the mixture into a square dash dish that has been lightly greased with coconut oil.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Use a spoon to crumble the buckwheat mixture into granola. Try and leave some bigger and smaller pieces.
- Enjoy with almond milk, plain greek yogurt or on it's own!
- Store in the fridge or freezer