Roasted Red Pepper and Pesto Grilled Cheese
It’s funny to see how our blog has changed overtime. Originally this was a blog strictly for Clean Program cleanse recipes. That meant no gluten, dairy, sugar, soy, or processed ingredients. Four years later and I’m posting a grilled cheese on sourdough bread. 😉
I still love to eat super healthy. It makes me feel good. However, my outlook on healthy eating has become way less strict and much for balanced. My meals aren’t prefect all the time. I don’t count calories anymore (I was addicted to myfitnesspal for a while) and I don’t stress about adding cheese or eating carbs if I’m in the mood. My motivation for staying healthy is that I like how I look and feel when I take care of myself and fill my body with nutrients. When I feel good I want to stay that way. It’s taken some years of practice, but I’m in a good place where I can have a green smoothie for breakfast and a grilled cheese for lunch and be cool with it.
Let’s now talk about this Roasted Red Pepper and Pesto Grilled Cheese. God damn is this good. I often make mine on sprouted bread just to get more nutrition in, but the sourdough really hits the spot. I also use the Red Pepper Spread from Trader Joe’s that I am slightly obsessed with, but you can use any version you like or even your favorite tomato sauce!
- two slice of bread (I used Ezekiel sprouted bread and Lou uses sourdough)
- organic mozzarella cheese
- roasted red pepper spread (I use Trader Joe's brand)
- butter, coconut butter or avocado oil
- spread each slice of bread with butter, coconut butter or avocado oil.
- turn over and spread pesto on one slice and roasted red pepper spread on the other.
- place mozzarella cheese on one of the slices and put the sandwich together.
- add to a pan over medium heat and grill on each side until browned.
- enjoy 🙂