Simple French Toast on Sprouted Bread
My mom used to make Alyssa and I French toast all the time growing up. That, and I’m pretty sure I used to eat those French toast sticks that you stored in the freezer. I was a 90’s kid. 😉
I haven’t made myself French toast in years. Then the other day I was like wait, is it actually that bad for you? The way my mom used to make it with white bread and butter on the pan; not the healthiest. But if I use sprouted bread, organic eggs, almond milk and cinnamon then I’m pretty I can eat this every day. 🙂 So here we are with Simple French Toast on Sprouted Bread!
I love using plain greek yogurt as a high protein, low sugar topping on toast and pancakes. It adds a nice texture that can often replace the need for a sweetener. I also load on the berries! I can’t fully enjoy French toast without a drizzle of pure maple syrup, but if you’re really trying to watch your sugar then nut butter is another great option!
- 4 slices of sprouted bread (I use Ezekiel bread from Food for Life)
- 2 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (more or less based on preference)
- oil for pan
- whisk the two eggs together in a medium bowl.
- add the almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon and whisk again until frothy.
- heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- add a drizzle/spray of oil to the pan (I used avocado oil by Chosen Foods)
- dunk a slice of bread into the egg mixture until fully coated on each side.
- add to the hot pan and cook on both sides.
- repeat with all 4 slices of bread.
- top with greek yogurt, berries, granola and pure maple syrup if desired.