We are on week two of our 30 Day Vegan Challenge! I have to say a lot of these “challenges” or “cleanses” are initially all mental. I mean I miss sushi and ice cream. Like, bad. But I’m not dying, or starving or unable to function. There are a million other things I can eat, and 10 times out of 10 when I pick something else my cravings magically go away 🙂
I am also starting to understand why a lot of vegans are into the whole “mind” and “soul” thing. Not to stereotype, but I totally get it. You begin look at food as a way to nourish and fuel your body, instead of just thinking “what am I in the mood for…” There’s a whole “kindness” aspect, knowing that nothing you are eating involves any animal cruelty. It’s actually really nice 🙂
So what have I been eating!? I feel like this Vegan Protein Bowl sums it up. Tons of veggies, proteins such as nuts, seeds, legumes, lentils or hummus, and healthy grains. Also lots of fruit! What I love about this dish, and many others like it, is that you can have a nice size portion and be full, but still feel really good! So go ahead and cut the meat for lunch or dinner one time this week and try this dish instead!
- 1/2 cup of millet (dry)
- 1 cup of veggie broth
- Wheat free tamari (or soy sauce)
- Butternut squash, cubed
- Brussels sprouts (ends trimmed and cut in half if on the larger side)
- Mixture of nuts and seeds
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spread the butternut squash and brussels sprouts onto a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and seasoning of choice (we used Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning) and bake for 25-30 minutes until tender.
- While the veggies are baking, add the 1/2 cup of millet to the 1 cup of vegetable broth in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed. Check at about 15 min.
- When the millet is finished cooking, drizzle with what free tamari and mix through.
- In a separate sauté pan, add a drizzle of olive oil, the kale, sea salt and pepper and sauté.
- When everything is finished cooking, assemble your bowl as shown and fill the center with nuts and seeds of your choice.
- You can also just mix everything together 🙂
Shop the Post