We are more than halfway through our 30 Day Vegan Challenge! One of the purposes of this challenge is to incorporate more veggies and plant-based protein into our diet. However, this past week I’ve found myself going for a bowl of overnight oats or rice crackers and hummus instead of a veggie-based dish if I was hungry. So to change that, I have a new salad recipe. 😉
I love nothing more than a creamy salad dressing. The problem is most of these dressings have so many unhealthy grams of fat and calories, and they are never vegan. So after some very thorough Pinterest searching, I came across this vegan caesar dressing recipe from Minimalist Baker. In my opinion, this caesar dressing is the closest you’re going to get to the real thing. And because it’s based with hummus (instead of soaked cashews) you can whip it up without any prep time.
So pour this dressing over a massive amount of kale, topped with nutritional yeast and roasted chickpeas, and you’ve got yourself a Vegan Kale Caesar Salad. 🙂
- 1 large bunch of kale
- ¼ cup of plain hummus
- 1 teaspoon of spicy brown mustard
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of capers
- 3 teaspoons of caper brining juice
- 2 teaspoons of fresh minced garlic
- Dash of sea salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- *Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Roasted chickpeas
- Remove kale from the stems, rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a blender, add the hummus, mustard, lemon juice, caper juice, capers, garlic, sea salt and pepper and blend until smooth (or shake in a mason jar).
- Add additional sea salt, pepper or lemon juice to taste.
- Pour dressing over kale and toss.
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast on top.
- Top with roasted chickpeas.
- Recipe adapted from the Minimalist Baker