Trying to stay gluten free is not always fun or easy. I love bread… and muffins and bagels and cereal and cake. I’m not gluten free 100% of the time, a girl needs a Levain cookie or slice of NYC pizza every once and awhile. The downside is I never feel good after eating it, so it has to be something that’s worth it to me.
For everything else, I just got used to using gluten free replacements! Now-a-days you can pretty much find anything in a gluten free version. Brown rice breads and quinoa pastas have become a new staple. Udi’s makes a variety of gluten free bagels, and there are now a bunch of gluten free cereals out (including Cheerios) there that I have with almond milk.
Baked goods get tricky, because the “real deal” baked goods are just so damn delicious. Gluten free flours, like almond flour and coconut flour, can also be a bit tricky to work with. However, I promise once you are used to using them they are life changing! You can bake things like this awesome Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread that is so delicious you would have no idea it is gluten and refined sugar free. 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups of almond flour/almond meal
- 1/2 cup of gluten free all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of organic pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
- 1/3 cup of raw honey or pure maple syrup (maple syrup is a bit sweeter!)
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat over to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease one standard or two mini bread pans with coconut oil.
- Combine all dry ingredients (almond flour, gf all purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt).
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients (pumpkin puree, honey/maple syrup, eggs).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into a bread pan. I used a 5x9 pan.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes (top should be lightly browned and a toothpick will come out clean).
- Let bread stand in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.