Somehow after I got married I ended up with like four crock pots. And as amazing as the concept of a slow cooker is, I honestly never use them. You can’t pay me to get up and chop vegetables before I go to work in the morning, and if I start a slow cooker recipe when I get home it will be ready at about 2am.
I’m really motivating you guys to make this soup. 😉 This is why I’m not in sales.
Anyway, last weekend I decided to dust off the old crock and make a lentil soup. This is actually an older recipe on S4B that got lost when we transitioned to our new site. I forgot how good it is, so it’s back!
I will say this soup is ridiculously easy to make and so healthy, yet so flavorful. It’s perfect for a Saturday or Sunday meal where you can still sleep until 10am (I clearly don’t have kids yet), throw everything in there, go about your day and have dinner ready 7 hours later. It also makes a huge batch, which means no cooking again until Wednesday. 🙂
- 1 16oz bag of lentils, washed and drained
- 9.5 cups of water
- 4 beef bullion cubes (chicken or vegetable also work)
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- pinch of dry rosemary
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- In a frying pan, sauté the garlic, celery, onions and carrots in olive oil until tender.
- Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Add the vegetable mixture to a 6 quart slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients and mix through.
- Turn the slow cooker on high for 5 hours, and then turn down to low until ready to serve, OR you can turn the slow cooker on medium for 7-8 hours.
- When the lentils plump up it's ready to serve.
- This makes a HUGE batch, so if you are not cooking for a crowd or have a smaller slow cooker cut the recipe in half.
Slow Cooker Essentials
This looks incredible!
I can’t wait to try this. x
I am not good at cooking but I really want to taste the dish when I look at the pic. I will ask my wife to make this for me. Thanks!
It’s super easy!
They look so gummy! All your food is always so bright and colorful and happy. I will made it and watch a romantic movie with my boo on his birthday. That will be a sweet day!
I thought it must be very difficult to make this dish but your instruction is very clear and easy to follow. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks a lot!
This looks so tasty!!! I will choose this for my lunch tomorrow. I need a lot energy!