This Gluten Free Apple Crisp is also paleo and refined sugar free! Although you would have no idea, because it’s so delicious. 🙂
One of the main reasons I continue to do the Clean Program once a year is to force myself to cut sugar cravings. They are no joke. I was the girl in college who would choose an M&M McFlurry after the bar instead of french fries. Like, who drunk eats ice cream?
Anyway, there are very limited forms of sugar allowed on the Clean Program. Besides natural sugar from fruit, you can use stevia, coconut palm sugar or xylitol. The point is to limit your overall sugar intake; but sometimes I just need something sweet.
This Gluten Free Apple Crisp might be one of the healthiest desserts I’ve made. It doesn’t just taste “good for a clean cleanse dessert,” it’s actually really good! And because it’s made with coconut palm sugar, you won’t get the blood sugar spikes you are used to.
So whether you’re participating in the 21-day cleanse or not, this is a great dessert for anyone looking to get a little bit healthy this year. 🙂
- Apple ingredients
- 3-4 apples (depending on the size) peeled and sliced very thin.
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- TOPPING ingredients
- 1 cup of almond flour/meal
- 1/4 cup of organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 to a 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and slice apples and place in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and toss until apple slices are evenly coated.
- Arrange apple slices in a baking dish or pie dish.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the topping except for the shredded coconut and mix together. Add the coconut and mix through.
- Pour topping over the apples and place tin foil on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered and then 10-15 minutes uncovered. Apple should be fork tender.
- Serve cold or warm.