Sweet Potato and Sausage Quinoa Bake
We tend to keep our lunches and dinners a “one dish meal” on S4B. By that I mean we cook a few different things, mix it all together, and hope it lasts for a few days before we have to cook again. 😉
Typically our dishes involve brown rice or quinoa, at least one vegetable, and a protein (unless we are counting quinoa as our protein- Lou doesn’t seem to think that counts). I got the idea for this recipe from a combination of Sarah and Mike’s dish over at Drool-Worthy and a quinoa taco-bake my friend Deanne made me the other week. I love the flavor combinations of this Sweet Potato and Sausage Quinoa Bake (the gruyere cheese is so good) and how easy it is to make.
- 1 cup of quinoa, dry
- 2 cups of water
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 package of organic Italian chicken sausage, sliced
- Sea salt & pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup (or more to preference) of shredded gruyere cheese
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees f.
- toss the sweet potato in olive oil, sea salt and pepper. place on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes until fork tender.
- place quinoa and water into a small pot. bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed.
- In a large pan, add a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. cook the chicken sausage until almost browned. Add the chopped kale, another drizzle of oil, and sprinkle of sea salt and pepper and sauté until crispy.
- mix the quinoa, sweet potato, kale and chicken sausage together in a large baking dish.
- sprinkle the gruyere cheese on the top.
- bake for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Clean Cleanse- no cheese, and make sure the chicken sausage is organic, has no casing, and does not contain peppers.
Shop the Post