We tend to keep our lunches and dinners a “one dish meal” on S4B. By that I mean we cook a few different things, mix it all together, and hope it lasts for a few days before we have to cook again. 😉
Typically our dishes involve brown rice or quinoa, at least one vegetable, and a protein (unless we are counting quinoa as our protein- Lou doesn’t seem to think that counts). I got the idea for this recipe from a combination of Sarah and Mike’s dish over at Drool-Worthy and a quinoa taco-bake my friend Deanne made me the other week. I love the flavor combinations of this Sweet Potato and Sausage Quinoa Bake (the gruyere cheese is so good) and how easy it is to make.
- 1 cup of quinoa, dry
- 2 cups of water
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 package of organic Italian chicken sausage, sliced
- Sea salt & pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup (or more to preference) of shredded gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss the sweet potato in olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes until fork tender.
- Place the 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed.
- Fluff and set aside.
- In a large pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and the chopped kale.
- Sprinkle sea salt and pepper and sauté kale until it begins to crisp slightly. Set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the chicken sausage pieces until browned.
- In a large bowl, mix the quinoa, sweet potato, kale and chicken sausage together.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish.
- Shred a piece of gruyere cheese until you reach about 1/3 cup.
- Sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Clean Cleanse- no cheese, and make sure the chicken sausage is organic, has no casing, and does not contain peppers.
Shop the Post