As a child I loved rice crispy treats. Those commercials are so spot on; like that was me making them in the kitchen with my mom. And why do moms choose to make rice crispy treats with their kids? Because they are so damn easy.
As an adult I’ve moved away from marshmallows (unless we are talking s’mores) but my love for a good peanut butter chocolate combo is still going real strong.
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Rice Crispy Treats are ridiculously easy to make, and so so good! I find them a tad healthier because the ingredients are all natural: brown rice, natural peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla… oh and chocolate chips. Forgot about those. 😉
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of natural peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 5 cups of brown rice crispy cereal (or original rice crispy cereal)
- Chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, pour in the five cups of cereal.
- In a medium pot, add the maple syrup over medium-low heat and whisk for a few minutes until hot
- Add in the peanut butter and vanilla and whisk until melted and fully combined.
- Pour the peanut butter liquid over the cereal and mix together until almost fully combined.
- Add in desired amount of chocolate chips and mix through until fully incorporated.
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper.
- Pour in the mixture and use your hands (you can add another piece of parchment paper on top) to press down firmly until evenly distributed.
- Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Slice and store in the fridge or freezer.