I am already thinking Thanksgiving. Not that I like host it or anything (apartment life), but I do like to help my mom cook the sides when I am home! I also love to give you guys new recipe ideas to try, and have an excuse to eat holiday food for a solid month.
So S4B, all about the balance. Especially during the holidays. I want my mashed potatoes made with butter, I want real gravy, but I also need to have healthier options to balance out my plate.
This Roasted Sweet Potato, Sausage & Apple Bake is the perfect combo of a healthy comfort side dish that doesn’t seem “healthy.” I used organic chicken sausage instead of pork, and added a creamy dijon dressing that gives it such a nice touch. 🙂
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- sea salt & pepper
- 2 apples, chopped
- coconut oil
- organic chicken sausage
- organic kale
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- sea salt and pepper
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- toss the sweet potato in olive oil paprika, sea salt and pepper
- toss the apples in coconut oil and cinnamon until evenly coated
- spread only the sweet potato onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes
- remove the baking sheet, add the apples, and then place back in the oven for 25 more minutes
- in a medium skillet add olive oil over medium heat.
- add the chicken sausage and sauté until browned
- add the kale to the pan with a dash of sea salt and sauté until wilted.
- Mix the sweet potato, apple, chicken sausage and kale into a bowl.
- whisk together the dressing ingredients (dijon, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper) and pour over the top.
- gently mix through.