I think something a lot of us can do better with this year is taking the time to plan ahead and cook more. Even me, the food blogger, will have weeks where I never get to the grocery store and therefore end up ordering in or eating rice crackers and hummus for dinner five nights in a row.
Cooking during the week is just a good habit to get into. Lou and I are always out to dinner or ordering in on the weekends, and we are totally cool with that balance. So during the week I make a conscious effort to grocery shop and cook healthy meals.
Now when it comes to the Clean Program, preparation is key! You want to love what you’re eating, not get stuck in a situation where you’re starving and have no options. I loveeee this Butternut Squash Pasta with Broccoli and Kale, both on and off the cleanse. It’s so healthy, yet so satisfying. It’s also a great dish to make for a crowd, or to have for leftovers. 🙂
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes or 1 package of pre-cut butternut squash
- 1 full head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 package of gluten free pasta (brown rice or quinoa)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast (*optional)
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the cubed butternut squash and broccoli on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and add a generous dash of sea salt, and pepper and roast for 30 minutes until tender.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a small sauté pan, drizzle a small amount of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the minced garlic for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Once the butternut squash is tender, set the broccoli aside and add the squash, vegetable broth, sautéed garlic, nutritional yeast (optional), almond milk, cayenne pepper and another dash of sea salt and pepper to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste test to see if more seasoning is needed.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to the same pan you cooked the garlic in.
- Add the chopped kale with a dash of sea salt and pepper, and saute until wilted and crispy. Set aside.
- Drain the pasta, and then pour the butternut squash sauce over the pasta and mix through.
- Fold in the broccoli and kale.