Chorizo and Potato Tostada with a Fried Egg
So this is definitely one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever made! Something I would totally order out at brunch, but not necessarily make at home (despite how easy it actually is!). But, knowing we’re all finding ways to recreate some of our favorites in our own kitchens these days, I wanted to give this a go and I’m so happy I did.
But question for you, have you ever seen such vibrant yolks? And have you ever cooked with eggs that have blue shells?! The first time I opened the box of Happy Egg Co Free Range Blue and Brown Heritage Breed eggs, Lou was like, “wait why are these blue” haha. These farmer’s market quality eggs are SUPER creamy and are perfect for adding rich, elevated flavor to simple breakfast dishes like this. They are so good, you can absolutely taste the difference when you’re using high-quality eggs raised with love!
All of the hens on Happy Egg’s family farms get to roam on 8 acres of pasture year-round, which is especially important considering most offerings at the grocery store come from hens that never get to go outside. We love that Happy Egg hens are totally happy, which also makes me and my family happy 🙂 Speaking of choosing happy, over the past few months especially, we’ve been making sure to safely get out and about on the weekends (walking to get bagels, stopping at the farmers market, bringing Luca to the park). Fresh air does wonders! We’ve also upped our FaceTime with friends and family that we haven’t been able to see, which has really helped us all stay connected.
But about this Chorizo and Potato Tostada with a Fried Egg on top! So much good flavor going on in there with very minimal, easy to find ingredients. I told Lou the next time we have friends over for brunch this is what I’m making. Not only is it delicious, but it looks awesome. Plus the Happy Eggs are a great conversation piece!
- 6 small tortillas (I used corn)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- about 1/2 pound of chorizo (I used 1 1/2 pork sausage links, casing removed)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, diced
- 3 eggs (I used Happy Egg Heritage Breed)
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- Pour the oil into a pan over medium heat and add tortillas one or two at a time to crisp on both sides. Set aside on a paper towel.
- Add the chorizo and onion to a pan and cook until the chorizo is crispy and browned. Set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the same pan and cook until tender, golden brown and crispy. *If there is too much grease in the pan prior you can pour some out.
- Add the chorizo and onion mixture back to the pan and mix though.
- In a second pan, add more oil/butter/ghee and fry the eggs.
- Add two tortillas to each plate, cover with potato chorizo hash and top with a fried egg.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and pepper.