Creamy Turmeric Mac and Cheese
I literally LIVE for a creamy pasta. I feel like I’ve written this intro more than once on here, but it’s so true! I was a fettuccine alfredo kid, and if you told me I could never have marinara again I’d be fine.
This Creamy Turmeric Mac and Cheese is dairy-free, can easily be made gluten free and is SO EASY. Soaking cashews always puts people off (including me), so if you don’t feel like planning ahead I’ve got a great tip below. My one year old also loves this pasta! So does my husband, who is not as easily won over 😉
- 1 box of pasta
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours or boiled (*see below)
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- sea salt and a generous few dashes of black pepper to taste
- reserved pasta water
- cook pasta according to package directions.
- drain the cashews and add them to a food processor with the almond milk, garlic powder, olive oil, turmeric, sea salt and pepper and process until smooth.
- if very thick, *slowly* add in reserved pasta water and process until the sauce is very creamy (you might not need any)
- taste test for more salt/pepper needed and add to the cooked pasta
- *if the cashews aren't pre-soaked, add them to boiling water and then remove the pot from heat. let them soak for 15 minutes.