Creamy Turmeric Mac and Cheese
Sometimes it’s hard for me to stay inspired! I rarely get to re-make my old recipes because I am always needing to come up with something new. I go through phases where I will have ten recipe ideas written down in my iPhone notes (literally everything is written down in my iPhone notes) and then there will be times where I am like, can I post a bowl of cereal?
So in times of need I either go out to dinner to get some ideas, or search my favorite food blogs and make their recipes. Pinch of Yum is always my go-to for recipe inspiration (and photography inspiration and just like life inspiration). I weirdly happened to have soaked cashews in my fridge, and had been eyeing Lindsay’s Creamy Kale Pasta for like a year (I need to soak cashews more often…).
I ended up making two dishes! One was her cashew cream sauce as is which was delicious! And with my other cup of cashews I decided to make a variation with turmeric to get that “mac and cheese” flavor with the added turmeric benefits. Both came out so good! Perfect texture for a way healthier creamy pasta option.
- 1 box of pasta
- 1 package of organic chicken sausage
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- sea salt and a generous few dashes of black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of pasta water
- cook pasta according to package directions.
- in a pan, drizzle a small amount of olive oil and cook the chicken sausage until crispy
- add the cashews to boiling water. remove from heat and let them soak for 15 minutes.
- drain and add to a food processor with everything except for the pasta water and process until smooth.
- slowly add in the pasta water until the sauce is very creamy (you might not use all of it!).
- add to the cooked pasta