Farro and Roasted Vegetable Bowl with a Fried Egg
Veggies, grains and an egg on top is always a quick and easy go-to for me! I find mealtime can either be really enjoyable or really stressful, especially when you need to feed a family. Part of my mission for #choosinghappy in my kitchen is having simple recipe ideas that can be thrown together when I don’t have much time, but want to avoid ordering out 🙂 I also love using ingredients where you can really taste the quality with every bite. You can’t go wrong with this type of grain and veggie combo, but I do have a few favorites I like to add that really bring the whole dish together 🙂
To start off, I have a new love for farro. I cook it in vegetable broth for extra flavor and it’s one of my favorite grains. Hummus is also a quick option when I don’t have time to make a tahini sauce (which is also delish!). I love all roasted veggies and I change them up often. That way I don’t feel like I am eating the same thing all the time. Lastly I am a HUGE fan of Happy Egg Free Range Blue and Brown Heritage Breed eggs. I’ve talked about these before on here, but they are farmer’s market quality eggs you can get locally and you can really taste the difference these creamy, amber yolks make in your recipes. All of the hens on Happy Egg’s family farms get to roam on over 8 acres of pasture year-round, which is especially important considering most offerings at the grocery store come from hens that never get to go outside!
Their motto is “choosing happy,” and if I think about my top ways for choosing happy in the kitchen it comes down to easy, flavorful and balanced meals. I like when meals come together quickly, but are also made up of versatile, nourishing foods I can feel great about serving to my family. It doesn’t have to be fancy! Just like this dish, you’ve got veggies, grains and protein for a well-rounded meal. The happiness part mostly comes from sitting down and enjoying it with my family!
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1 1/3 cup of vegetable broth
- broccoli florets
- cauliflower florets
- diced carrots
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- sea salt and pepper
- Happy Egg Free Range Blue and Brown Heritage Breed Eggs
- preheat the oven to 375F
- add the broccoli, cauliflower and carrots to a baking sheet.
- toss with olive oil, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder and bake for 20-25 minutes until fork tender.
- add the Farro and vegetable broth to a small pot. bring to a boil, and the cover and turn the heat to low. simmer for 10 minutes.
- remove form heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- fluff with a fork and drain any excess liquid. set aside.
- in a pan, add a oil or butter and fry one egg (or more for multiple servings)
- add the roasted vegetables, Farro and a dollop of hummus to a plate. top with a fried egg and micro greens.