If there is one type of recipe I have down, it’s how to make super healthy, creamy soup 🙂
I first got into the whole pureed soup thing around 4 years ago when I did my first Clean Program cleanse. I had tried their Chipotle Black Bean Bisque, and it seriously changed my life. Ok, so maybe not my life. But it definitely changed my view on soups in general.
After that I started experimenting with other types of pureed soups. I realized it is SO easy to cut out butter, heavy cream, and anything else bad for you, and still get a soup that is creamy and delicious! The secret is cannelloni beans. They create the perfect texture, while also adding protein!
Today we have an amazing Skinny Balsamic Mushroom Soup. One of my all time favorites, it’s super low in fat and calories, yet full of flavor. 🙂
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 package of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package of sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 can of organic cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons of good balsamic vinegar
- vegetable broth
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- in a medium pot, add olive oil over medium heat.
- add the onions and garlic and sauté for a few minutes until tender and fragrant.
- add all of the chopped mushrooms, thyme, oregano, a dash of sea salt and pepper, and the 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and mix through.
- allow to sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- add the beans and mix through.
- pour vegetable broth over the mushroom mixture until just BARELY covered. you can always add more later!
- cover the pot and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- pour into a standing blender and blend until smooth.
- add more broth if needed to thin out.
- add another drizzle of balsamic over the top of each bowl if desired.