Creamy Cauliflower Pasta Bake with Mushrooms and Chicken Sausage
I’m all about bakes. Pasta bakes, rice bakes, you name it. They’re just so easy to prep ahead and throw into the oven! This Creamy Cauliflower Pasta Bake with Mushrooms and Chicken Sausage is one of my new favorites. It’s healthy, easy, and light despite feeling light a cozy comfort meal. And, what makes it extra delicious is the crusty cheese top. I’ve been very into making really healthy dishes then sprinkling cheese on top. For this recipe I used gruyere cheese because it’s amazing, but you could use any cheese you have on hand, or a dairy-free cheese instead to make the bake totally gluten and dairy free.
- 1/2 to 1 box penne pasta
- 1 package chicken sausage, sliced
- 1-2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups cauliflower florets (or one frozen bag)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of ghee, butter, or non-dairy butter
- In a large skillet, sear the sausage slices until brown on both sides. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the mushrooms until tender. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook the pasta per box instructions.
- Add the cauliflower, garlic cloves, and about 1/2 inch of water to a bot and steam until the cauliflower is tender.
- Drain water and add to a food processor with the rest of he ingredients and process until smooth and creamy. Add more liquid if needed.
- Add the creamy cauliflower sauce to the pasta, and mix. Add in the cooked sausage and mushrooms.
- Transfer to a baking dish and top with shredded gruyere cheese. Broil on low until melted.